With the warmer months approaching, we’re enjoying sweet treats that are a little fruity. Enter the Raw Vanilla Coconut Fig Slice, dreamed up by Karen of health food blog Secret Squirrel Food. They’re vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free, whilst still managing to taste totally indulgent (not to mention the fact that they look amazing). Whip up a batch for your next outdoor party and wait for the compliments to roll in. Here’s how:
Walnut Fig Base
10.5cm x 20.5cm loaf tin
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup almonds
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp flaxseeds
½ cup dried figs
½ cup medjool dates (pitted)
½ tbsp water
½ tsp cinnamon
Vanilla Coconut Cashew Cream
½ cup cashews (soaked in water overnight)
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
Fresh fig slices to decorate
1. For the base, add all ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed between the fingers.
2. Line tray with cling film.
3. Pour mixture into tin and carefully press firmly using the back of a spatula until base is completely flat and even.
4. Put into the freezer to set, whilst you make the vanilla coconut cashew cream.
5. For the coconut cream, add cashews to a food processor and process for a few minutes.
6. With the food processor still running, slowly add the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla bean paste.
7. Keep processing until the mixture becomes very smooth and creamy.
8. Add desiccated coconut and pulse to combine.
9. Pull the walnut fig base out of the freezer and fill with the coconut cashew cream layer.
10. Put back into the freezer for 2 hours to set. Slice can be kept in the freezer until serving (let defrost for approximately 15 mins for cream to soften).
11. Decorate with fresh figs, slice carefully with a sharp knife and enjoy.
To keep up with Karen’s recipes, you can follow her on Instagram here.